Garp Home Page
This advice is from livingto100.com.
- + 1.0 : Cutting back on your hours at work, approaching, if you can, 40 or fewer hours, could add a year to your longevity
- + 0.25 : Minimizing or cutting out your caffeinated coffee consumption completely could provide you with about a quarter of a year more in life expectacy
- + 1.0 : If it is ok with your doctor, taking an 81 mg aspirin every day improves your heart and brain health and could help you delay or escape a heart attack or stroke. Taking an aspirin each day, perferably in the evening, could add 1 year to your life expectancy.
- + 0.5 : There is a clear link between the inflammation of gum disease and heart disease. Do a good job of flossing daily and you could add half a year to your life expectancy.
- + 0.5 : It is unclear if your current weight puts you at increased risk for heart disease or cancer. None the less, by no longer being overweight you would likely improve your overall health and could increase your life expecatancy by half a year or more.
- + 0.5 : Osteoporosis (brittle bones) is a terrible disease that becomes more common with older age. Among the important ways to prevent osteoporosis, it is important to have adequate amounts of calcium in your diet. Add more dairy products to your diet or take 1500 mg of calcium a day. Doing so could add a half a year to your life expectancy.
- + 0.5 : Cutting back sweets in your diet to 1-2 times per week or less could add half a year to your life expectancy
- + 1.0 : Changing your daily dietary intake so that you get to and maintain a healthy weight could add 1 year to your life expectancy (though you probably will gain more years, depending on how heavy you are and this is taken into account when we calculate your body mass index)
- + 0.5 : Increasing your exercise regimen (more than 30 minutes a day) to at least 4 days a week could add half a year to your life expectancy
- + 0.5 : Being more active in your leisure time, other than exercising, could add half a year to your life expectancy
- + 0.75 : Examining yourself for cancer could add three-quarters of a year to your life expectancy
- + 1.0 : Decreasing your bad cholesterol (called LDL cholesterol) to a normal or even lower level could increase your life expectancy by a year
- + 0.25 : Getting your blood sugar checked could add a quarter of a year to your life expectancy